Kelvin Kiptum is a Kenyan long-distance runner who owns the marathon world record, the ultimate test of endurance and speed. On October 8, 2023, he accomplished this accomplishment by finishing the Chicago Marathon in 2 hours and 35 seconds, surpassing the previous record by 34 seconds. He was the first person in history to run a marathon in under two hours and one minute, and he came dangerously close to breaking the elusive two-hour barrier.
|Kelvin Kiptum Cheruiyat
|Long Distance Runner
|Date of birth
|2 December 1999
|Date of Death
|11 February 2024 (Sunday)
|Keiyo District, Kenya
|25 years old (as of 2024)
|St. Patrick’s High School
|$20 Million (Approx)
Kiptum was born on December 2, 1999, in Eldoret, Kenya, a place recognized for producing numerous world-class runners. His father was a former runner, and his mother was a volleyball player, two brothers and two sisters, who also enjoy sports. Kiptum began running at an early age, influenced by his father and idols like Eliud Kipchoge and Haile Gebrselassie. He went to St. Patrick’s High School in Iten, where he trained with Brother Colm O’Connell, a well-known Irish coach who has coached numerous Kenyan champions.
|St. Patrick’s High School
Family & Relationship
|Father– Mr. Kiptum
Mother– Mrs. Kiptum
Kelvin Kiptum Age
He was born on 2 December 1999 in Kenya. He is 24 years old as of 2024. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. His religion is not known.
Kelvin was married to his wife Asenath Rotich. They both had two children but their names are not known yet.
Scroll down to get more information about Kelvin Kiptum
|In centimeters- 188cm In meters- 1.88 m In feet & inches- 6’2” ft
|In kilograms- 65 kg In pounds- 143 lbs
- Kelvin celebrates after winning the 2023 Chicago Marathon professional men’s division and setting a world record marathon time of 2:00.35 at Grant Park in Chicago, Illinois on October 8, 2023.
- The 23-year-old was behind the world record face at the halfway mark, 25 km and 30 km mark, but the picked up the piece at the end to make history. He is self-motivated and has only run marathons before.
- Kelvin set a new world record by completing the Chicago Marathon in 2 hours 0 minutes 34 seconds.
Kelvin Kiptum Death
The 24-year-old world record holder for marathons, Kiptum, allegedly passed away on Sunday night, February 11, 2024, in Kenya during an automobile accident. But Kiptum wasn’t the only one who perished in the car crash. Gervais Hakizimana, his coach, also died on the Eldoret-Kaptagat on the way.
Kiptum Net Worth
|Net worth – 2023
|$20 Million + (Approx)
|Net worth in Indian rupees
|INR- 170 Crore + (Approx)
Some Lesser Facts
- Kiptum started his journey by participating in his first half marathon at the age of 13, in 2013 in Kenya.
- He made his debut on the international stage in March 2019 at the Lisbon Half Marathon, Portugal in which he finished fifth with a new personal best of 59:54.
- In 2020 Kiptum was coached by Gervais Hakizimana who is Rwandan 3000 metres steeplechase record holder.
- In December 2020, he said a significant personal best in the Spanish Valencia Half Marathon by placing 6th at 58:42.
- Kiptum ran 59:35 half marathons in Lens, France in which he placed first and 59:02 in Valencia placing eighth in 2021.
- 23-year-old Kelvin broke the world record by 34 seconds with a time of two hours and 35 seconds.
- Kelvin grew up in an athletic family.
- His father was a former runner, and his mother was a volleyball player.
My name is Sushil Kevat and I am the author and founder of Biographywallah.com website. We share auto biographies of famous people on this blog.